Certificate in Financial Savvy
Understanding the Language of Business
The ability to understand the financial implications of business decisions is essential for both individual and organizational success. This program gives a comprehensive overview of the financial and accounting concepts that every manager and executive needs to know in order to make better business decisions and advance your career. Attend this fast-paced and highly-interactive program and you will dramatically improve your financial knowledge and skills. You will learn how to apply financial concepts to enhance strategies while at the same time enhancing your value to the organization.
It is taught by award-winning GSU professors who make learning finance and accounting easy and fun. This program requires little or no previous experience in the fields of accounting and finance. It is designed for non-financial and non-accounting professionals who want to better understand the “language of business” and better communicate with financial professionals within their organization.
If you want to improve your decision-making skills, while at the same time advancing your career, then this program is designed for you.
This program gives a comprehensive overview of the financial and accounting concepts that every manager and executive needs to know in order to make better business decisions. The program’s major content areas include:
- Topic One: Finance and Accounting Concepts, Economic Context and GAAP Influence
- Topic Two: Dimensions of Analysis, Interpretation of Financial Statements
- Topic Three: Time Value of Money, Risk and Return Relationships
- Topic Four: Debt and Equity Instruments, Utilization, Innovation, and Valuation
- Topic Five: Managerial Accounting and Performance Measurement Best Practices
- Vincent J. Giovinazzo, Ph.D., CMA
- Craig A. Ruff, Ph.D., CFA
- Non-financial managers and executives needing to improve financial knowledge and skills
- Non-accounting managers and executives needing to improve accounting knowledge and skills
- Managers and executives from the areas of IT, operations, sales and marketing, project management, business analytics, strategic planning, and general management
- Managers and executives who want to better communicate with accounting and finance professionals
- Professionals who lead non-profit organizations needing to improve accounting and finance skills
- Understand major financial and accounting concepts
- Read financial statements and understand their structure and content, analyze, apply, and interpret financial statements
- Value common stock and understand how common stock is used in a corporate setting, value bonds, and understand how bonds are used in a corporate setting
- Compute the time value of money (both present and future values and use it in business and personal applications
- Understand the budgeting process and the balanced scorecard
- Understand capital structure decisions and working capital management
- Assess the strategic implications of financial decisions
Details on 2016 courses will be available soon.
Georgia State University, Robinson College of Business
Buckhead Center, Tower Place 200, Suite 500, 3348 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30326
$3,450 per person, standard registration fee
We offer the following discounts. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Executive Education Center at 404-413-7300 to confirm eligibility and obtain the appropriate discount code.
- Early Bird (30 Days Prior to Program Start) - 5%
- Non-Profit Organizations - 10%
- Military and Veterans - 10%
- Companies sending a team of three or more - 10%
- Past Exec Ed Program Participants - 10%
- GSU Alumni - 25%
- GSU Student - 25%
- GSU Faculty or Staff Member - 50%
Note: Fee covers tuition, books and materials, certificate in finance and accounting, computer simulation licensing fees (if applicable), continental breakfast, catered lunch, morning and afternoon snacks, wireless Internet, on-site IT support, and parking in Tower Place 200 parking structure.
Upon program completion, you will receive a Certificate in Financial Savvy
"Thank you for finally making accounting and finance interesting to me; I learned a lot!"
"The professor's experience and savvy was a great benefit to keep [the class] exciting."
"The accounting professor is the most engaging instructor I have EVER had; he made a very 'foreign' subject matter make sense to me."
"The professors tailored [the] information and delivery to the level of [the] audience; the material and examples cited were very relevant today."
"Excellent mix of 'real world' examples and 'theory,' and [the program was] very practical and applicable to any business situation."
"The instructor was patient and explained the information in such a way that all could benefit. The information was very pertinent, especially for a beginner like me."